I worked alongside a designer to help bring the Parents Site to life. We did several research activities and workshops to help support the design process.
Our first step in redesigning the Parents site was to better understand our customer. We wanted to collect data around who was coming to this site, why were they coming, who were they shopping for, how frequently did they visit?
We did a quick preference test survey to help the design team select a visual direction. We surveyed 100 parents, asked them to describe each concept and pick their visual preference.
We brought in 6 parents in a week and did some discovery interviews probing around why their motivation for coming to the site and getting qualitative feedback around the booklists, search experience and transition to a purchase. We also too the opportunity to do a card sort to help inform the navigation design.
We did a quick analysis of how the card were sorted knowing that it was only 6 parents and also overlapped the customer’s results with the product owner’s business objectives and arrived to a completely newly structured navigation.
We benchmarked the navigation and entire site by working closely with a company called UserZoom. I authored the script and validation links for the benchmark test while UserZoom recruited and analyzed the study. Overall our navigation performed 80% better than the original site.